The Spanning Tree Algorithm (STA) defines a number of states that a port under STP control will progress through before being in an active Forwarding state. 802.1D port states are as follows:
- Blocking – BPDUs received only (20 seconds)
- Listening – BPDUs sent and received (15 seconds)
- Learning – Bridging table is built (15 seconds)
- Forwarding – Sending/receiving data
- Disabled – Administratively down
A port moves through these states in the following manner:
- From initialisation to Blocking
- From Blocking to either Listening or Disabled
- From . . .
The content below this message is for members only.